When you experience hormonal imbalance, it seems as if your entire body is working against you. Not just with headaches that occur during your period, but those that seem to linger with perimenopause and even during menopause.
If you had severe headaches in adolescence during the years after starting your period, you might find that the same migraine-type headache returns at menopause. Hardly seems fair, does it?
It’s as if your hormones want to get back at you both coming and going. These headaches are probably related to hormonal shifts in your body. As a teenager, your headaches stopped after your body became used to your monthly cycle.
When your body is transitioning away from its childbearing years into menopause, the headaches are back again until the body levels off. For some women, hormonal headaches are more intense during ovulation or just after ovulation is over.
Unless you’re tracking ovulation in order to get pregnant or prevent pregnancy, you may not even know when that is. So, pay attention to your cycle for a few months and note whether your headaches start a few days to a week before your period or just after your period.
Going on birth control pills may reduce or eliminate hormonal headaches for some women. No matter what the source of your hormonal headaches, some ways to deal with them include:
- Eat fewer processed foods, especially processed meats
- Avoid any foods with MSG or other food additives that you may be sensitive to
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily. Triple shot lattes, sodas and wine spritzers don’t count for hydration. In fact, this intake of sugar, caffeine and alcohol may actually contribute to worsening the headaches
- Don’t snack on junk food during the day and then eat a big meal at night. Eat a balanced diet, divided into 5 or 6 small meals during the day. This supports your blood sugar levels and provides online nutrition during your busy daytime hours.
- Get regular exercise – aerobics or running for strength and yoga or Pilates for muscle tone and flexibility
- Take Life Enzyme. This is a food supplement that contains 150 fruits, vegetables, and herbs that offer a long list of health benefits, including heart disease and poor immunity. Order Life Enzyme from Orgaanics today!
These prevention measures might help you avoid a hormonal headache or at least reduce the impact of the headache.